Thursday, 29 March 2012

They say, you must think out of the box... but let's start with the box first


I've been trying to find a way to package my crochet earrings and a nice handmade box seemed like a good idea. I tried using whatever paper I could find at home. Old calenders, magazines, even some old wedding invitations - the paper is pretty thick... a little too thick in fact. But nothing was really working well. My first box was a disaster and I actually gifted it to a friend of mine. Fortunately, she, an arty-crafty person herself, didn't scrutinize too much and was very pleased that I gave her a handmade gift box. Phew!
My first gift box, made from an old wedding invitation

This box does look kinda cute and quaint doesn't it? But believe me, it was terrible! I made this box from an old wedding invitation I found at home. It was a dark violet color and looked pretty nice for a box. But because the paper was very thick, the seams were so evident. My poor measuring skills didn't help either, the top and bottom didn't exactly fit!

I was really happy to find some good paper, suitable for origami projects.I tried it again, and this time I got all the fold right. 

And finally made a proper box. Yippeee! 




These little boxes are perfect for gifts. You can make them in different sizes and color and you can decorate them in all kinds of ways. Making a gift is one thing, but when you put into a handmade gift box, the person receiving it knows you really care. :) 

Maybe, in my next post I will put up a tutorial on how to make these boxes. It's really simple, but my instruction writing skills are pretty poor. So maybe I will put up a picture tutorial. If I can get all the pictures right :).

1 comment:

  1. oooohhhh someone's got herself a crafts blog :) Welcome to the fun Nissin :) Hope to see more posts from you!
    Btw, I loved the box so you better stop dissecting it so cruelly..lol! I love your new boxes too!! Very professional! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete